Sunday, November 20, 2005

Starting out again

To blog or not to blog.

After spending the last 3 years working on "perfecting" my application for medical school I have finally been accepted. My first year I tried schools that people had recommeded and I figured I could get in and of course the only school within my state, Washington, hoping for in-state tuition. I was across the board rejected from the 5 out-of-state (OOS) schools and was rejected after interviewing at the illustrious UW. So then I took the time, hindsight is 20/20, to pay for the US News rankings and statistics only to find how stupid I had been. None of the 5 schools had more than 10% of their students from OOS.

So 3 months have passed and I find myself going through the shotgun approach to applications, after making a very technical and colorful spreadsheet from US News' numbers, including OOS acceptance, selectivitity, and minority ratios (especially since I am a complete mutt-also read Generican-American), 12 schools have been chosen. AMCAS was happy to see my money coming to them. Additionally, after traveling across Western Australia a couple times I decided to apply down under also. Needless to say I have interviewed and been accepted to Univ. of Sydney and will be starting in February. I have gone through secondary applications for all of the schools, unfortunately, since it was ~$80 per school!! However, I am excited and definitely looking forward to the adventure of learning to become a doctor in Australia.

So I have started this blog to chronicle my exploits as I travel through medical school. As this is my first log I would like to link others to a log that has somewhat inspired me to write: http://www.medicalmadhouse.blogspot.com/ in addition to some friends, one a med student in Arizona who writes about some of his experiences http://spaces.msn.com/members/osteopathway/ , and another who is working in Antartica for the summer http://blogs.bootsnall.com/erica+joy/ .
All of them are entertaining.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Congratulations!

I'm linking to you on Emergiblog (if you don't mind). It will be fun reading about things from the beginning!

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:26 PM  
Blogger punchberry said...

Congratulations! I found your blog through Emergiblog. I hear that Australia is beautiful.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Glad I found your blog. Good luck with school!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home