Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The screen goes fuzzy

So it's 11pm and I have been studying since about 2pm, with breaks of course. Simpson's at 6pm and 7:30pm eating while watching. So when I got to this:

"Familiarise yourself with the structure of skin of the general body surface, which has a relatively thin epidermis with shallow papillations, eccrine sweat glands, hair follicles and associated sebaceous glands. Dermal papillations and rete ridges are shallow as there is low abrasion here. Compare with plantar skin, where the epidermis is thick, especially the stratum corneum, and where there are deep papillations and rete ridges due to high abrasion. Note there are no hair follicles and only eccrine glands are present here."

the whole screen went kind of fuzzy and I figured I would write rather than read.

So we are on our second week of a 2 week break and I think I need a vacation. The last block was musculoskeletal, which meant we were thrown to the wolves (orthopods) for our clinical skills learning. The chasm between the anatomy they figured we should know and we were madly trying to learn seemed immense. Fortunately, they were kind, which meant they acted surprised when we could name the tendons of the knee, or muscles of the forearm. In the end though I feel comfortable with a basic joint examination.

The chasm I refer to is the fact that most of us have never had an anatomy course and the block was here to teach us the muscles, bones, nerves, and blood supply of the upper limb, lower limb, and the back, oh yeah and we are doing it in 8 weeks. I forgot I meant 6 weeks because the first 2 were dedicated to drug and alcohol. One more thing, we are going to do it with our problem based learning. I will translate that last part for some people to english "It means we are going to talk about these bits and pieces while going over pathology; like rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome (actually really interesting), osteoporosis, and sciatic/back pain."

So that is why for the 2 weeks off I tried to do some review and hopefully solidify the knowledge into my skull. It worked out pretty well, except for random diversions, like the world cup, couldn't miss Australia play Italy (at 1 am here by the way), random B-day parties, a friends' dog relocation project (didn't work and we went back to get her, the dog, yesterday), and finally my need to sleep. Now it is Tuesday and I feel comfortable with the back and the lower limb. Tomorrow I will get to the upper limb (brachial plexus I will be your master.)

To those who have checked this sorry about not writing earlier. I would love to say its because I have been a studying machine and very focused, but its not. It's because I tend to be lazy when it comes to writing. Also, my free time has been used to keep riding my mountain bike, make new friends, and general non school relaxing stuff (yes that does include some late nights out on the town.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are making friends and not spending ALL your time in the books. It is interesting how this massive undertaking works. By the time we get a break all we want to do is sit and stare blankly at a wall, perhaps to music, and perhaps not. Basically anything that requires minimal mental effort works great during breaks.

Did a little DH riding during my break. Love that activity.

Day one of surgical rotation only lasted 12 hours. Plus 3 spent re-learning the arteries that supply the stomach, intestines, and colon and refamiliarizing myself with the various colon resection techniques and practicine suture technique and who knew, its almost 11PM.

Up tomorrow by 5 for prerounding on a couple of patients I have yet to meet. Sweet.

-DOX

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you should know- Dr. McDonald died in a scuba diving incident on June 15.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schnabel, long time. The didactic portion of PA school is coming to a close and on to clinicals in May. Hope all is well.
-Amanda M.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home